This beautiful navy coloured velvet dress has been donated to the British Red Cross in the UK and was offered for sale on an online platform.
Hand embroidered Celtic designs decorate the dress, displaying three main big circles in the front of the skirt (swan design), another rather big pattern on the chest, and further embroidery along the hem of the skirt and the cuffs. The embroidery is predominantly done using two rows of chain stitches, seamed by back stitches in black, although the the main three patterns up front are not seamed at all, and also vary using between one to three rows of chain stitches. Colours used for the embroidery patterns are white, orange, yellow, red, purple, light blue and green.
The collar is white with a flower design along the brim.
A chain of sew-on glittery stones decorates the waist. The dress wasn’t donated with a sash – if it was previously worn with an attachable sash or never had one is unknown to me.
I would assume this dress has been tailored in the 70’s, perhaps even earlier.
If you recognize this dress and can provide more information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Many thanks to the British Red Cross for allowing me to document their dresses.
S.S.K. Marbach, 2020
Item has been previously loved & donated to one of our charity shops in the UK
- Size: Approximately 9-10 year old, please see measurements below
- Shoulder to shoulder: 11.5″
- Armpit to armpit: 14″
- Armpit to cuff: 13″
- Collar to Hem: 26″
- Waist: 23″
- Some lint may be present from storage. Item may require cleaning before use.
- Used condition.
- Some discolouration in inner lining, may require cleaning to remove discolouring and odour as was previously used in competition.
- Some slightly loose threads due to the handmade nature of the garment.
- Some wear to the velvet (see pictures).
- Some marks on lace collar.
- Please view photographs for a visual description of the items condition.
- All photographs with kind courtesy of the British Red Cross